A portable SSD or hard drive will allow you to store, backup and transport your files. However, getting the best external SSD is not really easy, you have to find a compatible SSD that fulfills your storage needs. In 2022, the external hard disks are used mainly to backup files, if you frequently access your files then why don’t you switch to an external SSD for a faster experience?
Let’s admit it, the modern thin and light laptops do not offer that much fast internal storage. Even if they do, a lot of that goes for the system files and software. With so much data, there is a need for a storage medium, and the best one currently is external SSDs.
You will find a list of the top 10 best external SSDs that you can buy right now. These portable external SSDs will provide you a safe and fast data storage medium that you can carry around.
Table of contents
- Why Use External SSDs Instead of Portable HDDs?
- 10 Best External SSDs You Can Buy Right Now
- 1. Samsung T7 Touch – Best Portable SSD
- 2. Samsung T5 – Best & Affordable external SSD
- 3. SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD – Go-to choice of Photographers
- 4. Samsung X5
- 5. Seagate Barracuda Fast SSD
- 6. ADATA SE800
- 7. Crucial X8
- 8. Apricorn Aegis Fortress L3 – More rugged & secure portable SSD
- 9. WD My Passport SSD
- 10. iStorage diskAshur PRO2
Why Use External SSDs Instead of Portable HDDs?
Now you might say that one can easily get a portable HDD at a much cheaper price compared to an external SSD and more storage capacity. So why go for an SSD? Well, there are a number of reasons why you should pick external SSD over external HDD:
- Be up to date with the Latest Trends: If you look around, most laptops, and computers have SSDs as their primary internal storage. To interface better with them it is better to use an external SSD. This will increase the data transfer speed significantly.
- Faster Speeds: It is no secret that SSDs are just way faster than your typical HDDs. You will only notice this change when you use an SSD. Then there is no going back. The data transfer speeds are just wild(relatively).
- Better Data Protection: Your normal hard disks have moving parts inside them to store and retrieve data. The problem with moving parts is that they are more prone to damage and wear and tear. Even a slight accidental fall can damage or destroy your hard disk. Look around yourself and you will find a friend whose hard disk got destroyed after a fall.
This is not really the case with an SSD. SSDs have no moving parts and data is stored on chips. These are safer compared to an HDD and can take a few accidental falls without any compromise on data.
External SSDs are still relatively new in the grand scheme of things. Over time, SSDs are more affordable and the storage capacity is also increasing these days.
With so many pros including faster speeds, better data security, solid build quality, and affordability, external SSDs are the new way to storge and move data around.
10 Best External SSDs You Can Buy Right Now
Now you have a fair idea of why to choose an SSD over a mechanical HDD let’s find some of the top external SSDs that you can buy to enhance your experience.
This list is based on user reviews, durability, price, and of course speed.
1. Samsung T7 Touch – Best Portable SSD
Data security is one of the top priorities for everyone in 2022. If you handle sensitive data, you would want an external SSD with protective measures, right? Well, the Samsun T7 Touch is the right one for you in that case.
It comes with a fingerprint lock which gives it built-in security with AES 256 bit encryption. The external SSD is just crazy fast and good for data transfer that comes with USB 3.2 support. The size of this SSD is compact too. Overall, it is one of the best external SSDs on the list.
- Up to 1000 MB/s read-write speed
- Fingerprint security
- LED status indicator
- Shock resistant
- Sleek & compact
- 9.5x faster than conventional hard disks
- Compatible with PCs, Mac, Android, gaming consoles, and many more.
2. Samsung T5 – Best & Affordable external SSD
If you are looking for an affordable SSD that you can use on a daily basis for data transfer, Samsung T5 is an ideal choice. It is a V-NAND SSD and its size is even smaller than a credit card.
It comes with USB type A & C connectors so that you can connect it with a PC or Mac. The connecting wire is strong & thick which does not compromise on data transfer speed.
It is very fast and quite compact so you can easily carry it around without any problem. It also comes with encryption that makes it more secure.
- Up to 540 MB/s read-write speed
- Compact & portable
- Multiple connectivity options
- One of the highest-rated SSD
3. SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD – Go-to choice of Photographers
The SanDisk Extreme is for those who are looking for a big storage capacity. An NVMe SSD that is IP55 water & dust resistant, & built for rough usage.
The SSD is loved by photographers, videographers, and content creators around the globe. You can carry around it on a long trip to backup the photos & videos from your camera or smartphone.
It is quite compact and the speed is very fast too. If you are looking for higher storage capacity, go for this one.
- NVMe based SSD
- Up to 1000 MB/s read-write speed
- Up to 2-meter drop protection
- 256 bit AES encryption
- Top-rated SSD
4. Samsung X5
If speed is all you want from an external SSD and money is not a barrier for you, go for Samsung X5.
This portable SSD is crazy fast and crazy expensive. It comes with a thunderbolt 3 port for interfacing. On the inside, it has the fast Samsung 970 Evo NVMe SSD to deliver the maximum speeds.
It also has hardware encryption for security. Let me be very clear, it is made for speed and it is not quite your compact SSD. It is a bit bulky and non-waterproof.
Some users also reported incompatibility with certain MacBook models, and it does not support smartphones.
- Up to 2800 MB/s read & 2300 MB/s write speed
- NVMe external SSD
- Thunderbolt port
- Full metal body
- Shock resistant
- 256-bit AES encryption.
Seagate is a very popular brand when it comes to portable HDDs and SSDs and the Seagate Barracuda Fast SSD is the best offering from them.
It is quite fancy in terms of looks and the performance on this one is great as well. If you are looking for an external SSD for your Xbox or PlayStation, this is a great option.
- USB C ready
- 2-month Adobe creative cloud photography subscription
- Up to 540 MB/s read-write speed.
- Optimal for data backup
6. ADATA SE800
Talking about SSDs for daily use, the ADATA SE800 fits right in this category. It is very compact in size and can fit right in your pocket. It is sleek and very fast in terms of transfer speeds so it would make a perfect fit for your daily usage.
IP68 rated which is waterproof, dustproof, and shock-resistant. It comes with USB 3. 2 Gen 2 Type-C, backward compatible with USB 2. 0, and 3 years of manufacturer warranty.
- Sleek design
- Up to 100 MB/s read-write speed
- Supports USB C
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, Android, Xbox One & PS4.
7. Crucial X8
If you are on a tight budget and looking for a decent SSD for data storage, the Crucial X8 is a perfect candidate. It is very affordable and offers great storage capacity. The performance is quite good too.
It has a beautiful and unique design with an anodized aluminum unibody core. The SSD is drop-proof up to 7.5 feet, extreme temperature, shock, and vibration resistant.
- Up to 1050 MB/s read-write speed
- Unique design
- Compatible with PC, Mac, smartphone, and gaming console
- USB C compatible.
8. Apricorn Aegis Fortress L3 – More rugged & secure portable SSD
Apricorn Aegis Fortress L3 is the Fort Knox of external SSDs. This is everything you can ask for in terms of security. It is hardware encrypted and tested for impacts.
It can handle some serious falls and hits, it has 2 read-only modes, and separate admin and user mode. If you handle classified data, this is the one for you.
- Aircraft-grade aluminum body
- 256-bit hardware encryption
- Brute force defense
- Physical keypad to encrypt/decrypt the data
- The host computer cannot alter the security PIN.
This external SSD from WD is another great portable solution for people with generic requirements. It comes with good hardware encryption. Although not very compact but it is still very affordable and you can easily use it with your laptop and other devices.
An NVMe SSD with blazing fast speed, shock & vibration proof and it can survive a drop up to 2 meters.
- Up to 1050 MB/s read-write speed.
- 256-bit AES hardware encryption
- USB C support
- Compact design
Talk about taking data security to the next level and iStorage diskAshur PRO 2 stands tall. It is easily one of the most secure external SSDs out there.
The SSD comes with physical password protection and military-grade encryption. It is also dust and water-resistant. So you need not worry about losing your data on this one. I highly recommend this SSD if you handle a lot of sensitive, confidential data.
- Up to 361 MB/s read-write speed
- 256-bit AES-XTS hardware encryption
- Compatible with Mac, Windows, & Android
- Government certified
Note – The read-write speed mentioned here is the maximum you can acheive when using the latest technologies. SSD write speed will always be lower than the read speed.
These are the 10 best external SSDs that you can buy right now. Based on your storage need and protection, you can buy a suitable SSD from the list. Enjoy a better data transfer & security with an SSD.
Read More About:
- Best Smartwatches Under INR 10000 For Men In India
- Top 5 Best Midrange Smartphones in India
- 10 Cool accessories For Windows Laptop under $50
External SSD offers better read-write speed than external HDD, since SSD doesn’t have any moving parts it tends to last way longer than traditional drives. Due to the thin form factor, external SSDs are more portable than any other drive.
Yes, you can install Windows on an external SSD and use it with any PC over the USB connection. Win2USB by Hasleo Software can easily create different partitions on the disk and write Windows files into it.
Before buying an external SSD look for the following things-
1. Capacity – Determine your need and select the size.
2. Durability – Find how would you use the external SSD? If you are going to keep it on the table mostly then go for Samsung SSDs, but if you are looking for rough uses, like traveling a lot, photography then buy an SSD with the better build quality.
3. Speed – Don’t forget to check the read-wite speed of the SSD, look for higher numbers.
4. Compatibility – Check if the SSD is compatible with your devices or not. Most of the mentioned SSDs in the article are compatible with Windows PC, Mac, and Smartphones.
5. Connectivity – Check if the SSD comes with USB A or USB C connectivity buy according to your need.
6. Security – Data security is important if you handle classified data then go for the safest SSD that offers onboard security options. Like Samsung T7 or at least it offers security apps.