Facebook does not allow users to delete multiple messages at once. You have to select each message on Facebook or Messenger and delete them one by one in order to get rid of tons of messages.
Even if you are using a mobile device then there is no such option to select multiple messages on the messenger app and you won’t be able to delete them. You can delete them one by one from the chat options.
But there was an option to delete multiple messages on the older version of Facebook. But Facebook took away this feature and users find it really annoying to go through each message and delete them.
Over time, you may have sent tons of messages or message requests to different people but sometimes you may find it embarrassing when you look through old conversations.
You may want to delete older messages to clean your inbox. Or want to avoid any trouble with your partner who wants to check on your messages.
There may be tons of reasons to do so, now let’s find how you can do it.
How To Delete Multiple Facebook Messages / Conversations
To delete multiple messages you need to log in to Facebook on a computer and need to have Google Chrome browser so that you can install chrome extensions. This trick does not work on a smartphone or messenger app.
You may find many Google Chrome extensions claiming to delete multiple or all Facebook messages but I have tested more than 20 such extensions but only 2 of them worked.
Earlier Chrome extensions like “Delete All Messages for Facebook™” used to work but Facebook has updated its platform and most of the extensions couldn’t find a way to work as usual.
There are tons of outdated articles and YouTube videos available on the Internet, but this trick is working as if now.
Follow these steps-
1. Open Google Chrome and log in to Facebook.
2. Download Multiple Tools For Facebook and Add it to Google Chrome.
3. Log in to Facebook and open messages not the messenger.
Or directly open messages using this link.
4. Go to Chrome toolbars and click on the extension icon. Or if it is not available on the main toolbar then click on the extensions option and you will get it listed there.
5. Once you click on “Multiple tools for Facebook” it will redirect to another internal page of the extension. There you will find tons of options, this tool has many other useful features for Facebook as well.
6. On the left side Click on Tools then “Message Downloader” from the list of options. It will fetch all of your Facebook conversations with the name of your Facebook friends their Facebook ID their active status and checkboxes to select the conversations.
7. Select the conversation you want to delete and then click on the “Delete” option. You can also download the conversations if you want.
It will load 10 conversations by default, if you want to delete more conversations then select more rows or all rows.
You can also delete all Facebook messages at once by loading All row, select all conversations, and click on delete.
This extension will help you to delete all the conversations with your Facebook friends for free, but if you want to delete messages from non-friends then you have to buy the premium features for at least $10.
Messenger Message Cleaner Extension
This is another Google Chrome extension that is working now, you can download it from Google Webstore and add it to Chrome.
1. Download Messenger Message Cleaner and it will add an icon to the Google Chrome toolbar.
2. Log in to Facebook and click on the extension’s icon.
3. It will redirect you to the mobile basic version of Facebook, now click on the icon again to get the options.
4. It will show you options to select messages and delete the conversations.
You can delete a maximum of 5 conversations at once without registering for a free trial. And Free trial offers to delete 10 conversations at once, but you have to buy their premium plans to get full access.
It did a great job deleting the conversations quickly but paying for such services is not advisable. If you have little time then you can go through each message and delete them manually.
Overall, both extensions are able to delete Facebook messages when others failed. The first one did a great job since it allows you to delete all messages from friends. Additionally, it has many other useful features for Facebook users.
The second extension is good if you don’t mind spending some money for a one time service, otherwise, I won’t recommend it.
Interesting Readings –