All we know Facebook is biggest social networking website on the planet, it becomes an integral part of our life,probably it is the best way to stay connected with friends and family and also to the world, Facebook also became a faster medium of communication we get any recent updates and news on Facebook faster than newspaper and news channel, Facebook has lots of entertainment and information.
Sharing photos, information and files makes your data available to your friends and also to public if it is shared publicly, protecting your photos and data on Facebook is really important because in the modern internet age there are many threats to your personal life, your photos, data may leak over the internet and you may get in trouble, Facebook also became a medium of crime, it is also a platform for new relations and breakups , think that what if your personal photo and message is accessed by someone else.
From emotional and physical cheating to break-up and divorce, researchers found ‘Facebook-induced jealousy’ significantly increased the risks for couples of all ages. – Dailymail.co.uk
Are you safe on Facebook or your Facebook ID is secure? Here are few important tips to stay safe and secure on Facebook.
1. Make your Facebook account secure by optimizing Security Setting on Facebook.
- Make sure Secure Browsing is enabled, which means it encrypt your activity on Facebook where possible, making it harder for anyone else to access your Facebook information without your permission.
- Enable Login Notification this will send you notification on Facebook and also on your email that you have logged in from a device with some IP address.
- Use Code Generator it is part of the Facebook app. It creates a unique login code every 30 seconds, even when you aren’t connected to the internet, so you always have a code when you need one. If you have login approvals turned on, you can use Code Generator instead of waiting for a text message with your login code.
- Create App Password, it will ask for app password when any app on Facebook is trying to access your Facebook profile and information.
- Choose Trusted Contacts it will help you to reset your password and get your Facebook profile back when it is compromised.
2. Make your Facebook Profile more private by choosing effective Privacy Settings.
- Change your privacy setting for your post by limiting it to your friends if you don’t want other people to see your post.
- If you want to get rid of annoying Tags on Facebook then you can use Activity Log to review every tag, you will get tag only if you approve any request.
- Check your setting that who can send you friend request on Facebook, also check the setting for Who can send you message if you choose Strict Filtering then you will not get any message from peoples who is not in your friend list.
- Also, you can go more private by changing the settings for Who can look me up to friends of friends or friend rather than public(Everyone).
3. Limit the use of Apps on Facebook
The Wall Street Journal revealed that many of Facebook’s most popular applications including the massive hits Farmville and Mafia Wars were transmitting personal user information to outside servers. Some of these companies were accused of collecting information through several apps and then selling it to ad firms. – Fox news
Think before taking part in any celebrity quiz when it appeared in news feed, there are many Facebook app which can access your photos, messages, contact list even every information from your profile, before allowing any app to access your profile check their publisher and what info can be accessed by that app.
Here is an App “Trusted Friends on Facebook ” which can access nearly all of your information.
Like this App there are 1000s of apps available on Facebook which can access your data and their publisher may sell these data to various companies.
Also, don not use Facebook Login to other websites until they have a good reputation, if you will login using Facebook they may access your information.
4. Do not friend with the people you don’t know.
Don’t know all the people you’re linked to on Facebook? Then why are you linked to them? There are many such criminals who sends friend request only to get information, it doesn’t matter how attractive their picture appears.
Criminals often use fake profiles to send spam trying to scam, or worse, steal personal information. Beware of Fake Ids on Facebook they may be your sceptic friend, girlfriend/boyfriend or wife who want to expose you because these time Facebook is a way to keep spy on our personal life, do not share your photos and imp. information to unknown peoples on Facebook.
5. Do not over-share and Protect your location.
What is the best way to preserve your privacy? Be conservative with what you share. Things like your home address, your family members, and your birthday are all easy pickings for identity thieves. It’s harder to retract information than to simply not share at all.
- Do not share your location, never check-in at home. Probably you don’t want other people to easily know when you’re not at home, so leave this location off your list. Besides, you don’t want most strangers to know where you live in the first place.
- Never check-in at a friend’s or family member’s home. Updating your status with “Hanging out at Tom’s home” might seem like casual fun, but you’re essentially compromising their privacy as if you’d checked in at home.
- Don’t link Facebook to Twitter account. Unlike Facebook, which requires you to be a friend with someone for them to see your updates, Twitter feeds are usually public (although you can set your feed to private as well).
By the end it’s up to you, how you stay safe and secure on Facebook, if you take appropriate action to stay secure you will be, if you just ignore these things maybe someday you will feel guilty.
Also Share this valuable information.
Also Share this valuable information.