Google Chrome is the fastest browser in all aspect like browsing, downloading, streaming and much more, sometimes you may get an error that Google Chrome won’t open at all, no matter how many times you try to open it but nothing happens. Whatever you tried to fix this issue but nothing worked properly, chrome isn’t launching makes you go crazy you don’t want to use other browsers because chrome has your installed extension, bookmarks and saved passwords. One can also import these browsing data but once you love chrome you can’t leave it.
What Steps you have taken to Fix this error?
Have you tried fixing this issue by –
- Killing chrome process from task manager ( If this Just happened).
- Ran Malware Scan.
- Rebooted Several times.
- Completely Reset Google Chrome.
- Re-Installed Chrome?
But all the above doesn’t work? Then you are at right place.
Why Google Chrome Won’t Open?
If you have gone through all the above steps but still chrome is unable to start this means your chrome is affected by some malware or there is a program which is stopping chrome to be launch this may be due to Antivirus, 3rd Party Firewall, Firewall installed by Antivirus OR you have installed such program which is causing problem with it, basically in such case the Ownership of chrome got changed and you can’t start it from your user account.
As mention on Google Chrome Support Page, there are 3 Programs which may cause such issue-
- Spyware Doctor
- Comodo Firewall
- McAfee Enterprise
If you have any of above program installed, then disable such Programs and create an Exception in Firewall settings for Chrome, now re-enable those program and try, also try removing Spyware Doctor, If these don’t fix this issue proceed below-
How to Fix Google Chrome Won’t Open Error –
If this just happened then you need to try these two steps first –
1. Kill the Chrome Process from Task manager – Open Task Manager and Kill Every process of Google Chrome.
Check if chrome is working or not. If working then Great! If No
2. Reboot Your Computer and check again.
3. If your computer has another user account then log on to that account and check whether it is working or not, if chrome is working on another user account then first user account got affected, If it doesn’t work on any user account then chrome got affected for all users.
Final Fix to Google Chrome load error:-
If all above tries couldn’t resolve this error then before Resetting Chrome or Re-installing it (This may also not work) try this final Fix it will surely resolve this issue.
As written above Google chrome ownership is affected by some malware or incompatible programs we need to get the ownership back from same user account, to do so follow these steps –
1. Go to Shortcut of chrome Right click on it > Open File Location. You can also open Chrome folder by navigating to Computer > C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application OR
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application If it is 32 bit OS. Check whether you have 32 or 64 bit OS.
This may also in – C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application
OR – Just Right click on Google Chrome shortcut and open file location.
2. Now create a new shortcut of chrome application on the desktop. (Right-click on chrome and click send to desktop)
3. Right Click on New Shortcut and Go to Properties.
4. Go to Security tab.
5. Click on Advanced.
6. Once you click on the Advanced option you will get another window named as Advanced Security Settings. Here Click on Change Option.
7. After Clicking on Change in owner section, you will get another window to Select User or Group, In the Box below type your USER NAME (Mine is My Lappy) and Click on Check Names it will turn to COMPUTER NAME/USER NAME (Mine is like SANDEEP/MY LAPPY) and Click on OK.
8. Now Go to Effective Access Tab in Advanced Security Settings, and Click on Select a User.
9. After clicking on Select a user same window of user or group will appear again, type USER name and Click on Check Names again.
10. Hit OK to it.
11. Hit Apply / OK on Advance Security Settings Window.
Hit Apply / OK on Chrome Shortcut – Properties Window. Means Save all changes you made.
Now open Google chrome it will open and work properly if not then restart your computer and check. Delete the older shortcut of chrome from Start menu, Taskbar and Replace with Modified one.
Don’t Like Reading? Watch this Video Tutorial
After following the above steps, you will be able to fix google chrome won’t open error and Google Chrome will open quickly and it will work as usual.
Updated Fix for Google Chrome Not Opening Error
Many users reported that the final fix “changing chrome ownership” is also not working for them, in this case, you can try these 2 latest solutions-
1. Undo Recent Updates
One of the best features of Google Chrome is that it updates itself in the background without any prompt, sometimes a problem occurs when chrome trying to update from one version to another, and the update fails which leaves chrome in an unstable state.
As you can see in above image that chrome has 2 versions into the Application folder 47.0.2526.111 is the older version and 48.0.2564.116 is the latest version.
Open both folders and check which has less number of files, if the older version has less no. of files then –
Open the newer version’s folder and copy all the subfolders & files and paste them into older version’s folder.
Try to open Google Chrome now.
2. Delete Chrome.dll file
Thanks to Eric Schmidt for this fix, Chrome.dll is a file which contains the various setting for the chrome browser if chrome isn’t opening then delete this chrome.dll file from application folder.
Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application then open chrome version folder, find and delete chrome.dll. Deleting this DLL file removes all the older settings of google chrome.
This solution also worked for many users.
Since this happens due to malware attack it is advised to run a malware scan using good antivirus like Hitman Pro, check your system type, download and install Hitman Pro accordingly it will quickly scan critical area and delete found malware, this antivirus comes free for first 30 days with full access only you need to register for it using your email.
Always install a good antivirus program like McAfee Total Protection to avoid any such issue in the future, having a full version of an antivirus give you a peace of mind and protect your PC from the different type of malware and also offers internet security.
Or you can also go for free antivirus, these free antivirus programs provide you essential security from numerous PC threats.
Let me know which fix worked for you, if you face any trouble during all the above solutions then comment below.