Google Chrome is the fastest browser in all aspect like browsing, downloading, streaming and much more, sometimes you may get an error that Google Chrome won’t open at all, no matter how many times you try to open Google Chrome but nothing happens.
Google Chrome may stop working without any error on Windows 7, 8/8.1, Windows 10 or even on Mac OsX. Maybe it was working last night and after restarting the PC it stops working all of sudden.
Whatever you tried to fix this issue but nothing worked properly, chrome isn’t launching makes you go crazy you don’t want to use other browsers because Google chrome has your installed extension, bookmarks and saved passwords.
One can also import these browsing data to another browser but once you love chrome you can’t leave it.
Other browsers like Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Edge works without any issue then you need to investigate the issue with Google browser.
So let’s discuss in detail to find the reason behind why you can’t open google chrome on your Windows PC or Mac and how to fix it.
This is going to be a little long but read and apply every fix from the start, it will definitely fix the issue.
What steps you have taken to fix the Chrome launch issue?
Have you tried fixing this issue by –
- Killing Chrome process from task manager ( If this Just happened).
- Ran Malware Scan.
- Rebooted several times.
- Completely Reset Google Chrome.
- Re-Installed Chrome?
But all the above doesn’t work? Then you are at the right place. (If you haven’t tried above solutions then try them before you proceed below)
Why Google Chrome Won’t Open?
If you have gone through all the above steps but still chrome is unable to start this means your chrome is affected by some malware or there is a program which is stopping chrome to be launch this may be due to Antivirus, 3rd Party Firewall, Firewall installed by Antivirus OR you have installed such program which is causing problem with it. Basically, in such cases, the Ownership of Google chrome got changed and you can’t start it from your user account.
As mention on Google Chrome Support Page, there are 3 Programs which may cause such issue-
- Spyware Doctor
- Comodo Firewall
- McAfee Enterprise
If you have any of above program installed, then disable such Programs and create an Exception in Firewall settings for Chrome, now re-enable those program and try, also try removing Spyware Doctor, If these don’t fix this issue proceed below-
How to Fix Google Chrome Won’t Open Error on Windows 7, 8/8.1 & 10
If this just happened then you need to try these two steps first –
1. Kill the Chrome Process from Task manager – Open Task Manager and Kill Every process of Google Chrome.
Check if chrome is working or not. If working then Great! If No
2. Reboot Your Computer and check again.
3. If your computer has another user account then log on to that account and check whether it is working or not, if chrome is working on another user account then the first user account got affected, If it doesn’t work on any user account then chrome got affected for all users.
Final Fix to Google Chrome Not Working Error:-
If all the above tries couldn’t resolve this error then before Resetting Chrome or Re-installing it (This may also not work) try this final Fix it will surely resolve this issue.
As written above Google chrome ownership is affected by some malware or incompatible programs we need to get the ownership back for the same user account, to do so follow these steps –
1. Go to Shortcut of chrome Right-click on it > Open File Location. You can also open Chrome folder by navigating to Computer > C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application OR
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application If it is 32 bit OS. Check whether you have 32 or 64 bit OS.
This may also in – C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application
OR – Just Right click on Google Chrome shortcut and open file location.
Anyhow you have to open the Chrome Application folder, this location remains the same irrespective of Windows version you are using it would be same on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10.
2. Now create a new shortcut of chrome application on the desktop. (Right-click on chrome and click send to desktop)
3. Right Click on New Shortcut and Go to Properties.
4. Go to the Security tab.
5. Click on Advanced.
6. Once you click on the Advanced option you will get another window named Advanced Security Settings. Here click on Change Option.
7. After Clicking on Change in the owner section, you will get another window to Select User or Group, In the Box below type your USER NAME (Mine is My Lappy) and Click on Check Names it will turn to COMPUTER NAME/USER NAME (Mine is like SANDEEP/MY LAPPY) and Click on OK.
8. Now Go to Effective Access Tab in Advanced Security Settings, and click on Select a User.
9. After clicking on Select a user same window of user or group will appear again, type USER name and Click on Check Names again.
10. Hit OK to it.
11. Hit Apply / OK on Advanced Security Settings Window.
Hit Apply / OK on Chrome Shortcut – Properties Window. This means to save all the changes you have made.
Now open Google chrome it will open and work properly if not then restart your computer and check. Delete the older shortcut of chrome from Start menu, Taskbar and Replace with Modified one.
Don’t Like Reading? Watch This Video Tutorial
After following the above steps, you will be able to fix google chrome won’t open error and Google Chrome will open quickly and it will work as usual.
Updated Fix for Google Chrome Not Opening Error
Many users reported that the final fix “changing chrome ownership” is also not working for them, in this case, you can try these 2 latest solutions-
1. Undo Recent Updates
One of the best features of Google Chrome is that it updates itself in the background without any prompt, sometimes a problem occurs when chrome trying to update from one version to another, and the update fails which leaves chrome in an unstable state.
As you can see in the above image that chrome has 2 versions into the Application folder 47.0.2526.111 is the older version and 48.0.2564.116 is the latest version.
Open both folders and check which has less number of files, if the older version has less no. of files then –
Open the newer version’s folder and copy all the subfolders & files and paste them into the older version’s folder.
These versions may be different on your computer, at the time of writing this article Chrome had above versions installed into my computer. Anyway just find the latest version of Google Chrome and copy-paste the files accordingly.
Try to open Google Chrome now and check if it working or not.
2. Delete Chrome.dll file
Thanks to Eric Schmidt for this fix, Chrome.dll is a file which contains the various setting for the chrome browser if chrome isn’t opening then delete this chrome.dll file from the application folder.
Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application then open chrome version folder, find and delete chrome.dll. Deleting this DLL file removes all the older settings of google chrome.
This solution also worked for many users.
3. Google Chrome Offline Installer
Download Firefox and Edge browsers, If Edge and Firefox browser are working then you need to check chrome in safe mode. Boot your windows in safe mode and check if Chrome is able to open or not.
If safe mode works then there are some windows services that are causing the issue. You need to disable certain services and try and test to find which Windows service is responsible for the chrome issue.
In case it is still not working then while you are in safe mode, uninstall Google Chrome completely from Programs and Features and delete all the associated files form the “Appdata” and Windows application folder. Download google chrome offline installer and install it in normal mode.
This option also worked for many users.
4. Fix Compatibility Issue
If you have upgraded your Windows PC from Windows 7, 8.1 to Windows 10 then you may face chrome not opening issue.
After upgrade Chrome will not open due to Microsoft’s installer automatic settings. This installer will set Chrome’s execution mode for Windows 7 or Windows 8 compatibility.
To Fix the Compatibility issue after an upgrade you need to change the compatibility settings.
1. Locate Chrome shortcut on the desktop. (If you don’t have chrome shortcut on the desktop then make it).
2. Right-click on the Shortcut and Click Properties then select the Compatibility tab.
3. Uncheck the box which says ” Run this program in compatibility mode“, then hit Apply and OK.
You can try checking and unchecking this option it may work for any of these options.
Now check if Google Chrome is opening or not.
5. Clean Your Google Chrome
Download Chrome Cleanup Tool using a different browser (obviously) and locate the downloaded program and double-click to open it.
This program won’t install to your computer, it is a flash scanner to find suspicious programs and to reset Google Chrome Settings.
Clean up tool will scan for the conflicting program, if it does find any such program then it is recommended to uninstall those program.
If it does not find any suspicious program then click on Continue.
The cleanup tool will try to open and reset Chrome settings. (Try this fix before trying other mentioned fixes)
Reboot your computer and check if it is working or not.
6. Adjusting the Firewall and Antivirus
Sometimes your Antivirus and Firewall may block certain actions to be taken by computer.
If you have an antivirus program installed then try to turn it off temporarily and check if you are able to open Google Chrome.
Create an exception to the Firewall setting for Google Chrome.
Open Windows Firewall from the control panel and Click Allow an App through Windows Firewall.
Now browser the Chrome.exe from C:\Program Files\Chrome\Application and add the exception.
Check the Private option for Chrome.exe.
7. Fix Corrupt User Profile
An answer by Google Expert suggests that if Google Chrome is unable to open and won’t give any error message then you may have broken user profile.
You need to create a new user profile in order to get your Chrome working again.
Press Win+R key on your keyboard and type %localappdata% then hit OK.
It will take you to the AppData folder, navigate to Google\Chrome\Userdata.
Now, look for the Default folder in User Data, Rename this Default folder to anything else like “Default1” Default Backup“
Now, Restart your PC without any try to open Google Chrome.
Once restarted try to open Chrome and check if it is working. At this point, Chrome will create a new User Profile Named “Default” with new settings.
If you have trouble fixing corrupt User Profile, Check this Article to Reset Chrome Where I have written the detailed procedure.
8. System Restore
System restore can revert back the settings to an older date when Chrome was working. This will also uninstall the programs and updates which was installed after a restore point.
- Press Win+R key to open Run dialog box.
- Type in “rstrui.exe” and hit OK. It will open the system restore option.
- Look for the recent restore points when Chrome was working fine, select the restore point date and hit Next.
If you are lucky enough you will find recent restore points even if you haven’t created manually.
A successful restore can revert the changes and Chrome should work again. Bear in mind system restore will also remove every software and settings created after the restore point.
Fix Google Chrome Not Opening On Mac (macOS X)
This issue with Google Chrome may occur on Mac OS as well, this fix works with all the major version of macOS like Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave.
Try the below fix first-
- Restarting chrome may fix this issue.
- Restart your Mac.
- Quit all processes of Google Chrome from Activity Monitor.
4. Change the permission on Mac OS
If your chrome is unable to open at all then you need to get the permission for your account(Admin). If admin account has no access to read and write data on chrome then you won’t be able to open it.
Doesn’t matter if you are using a guest account or the Admin account, you have to get the read-write permission in order to open google chrome.
Here’s how to get the permission-
1. Open Finder and press Command + Shift + G keys together.
It will launch the file browser and /Library written by default, just press the Go button.
2. You will get many folders there, look for Google folder, right-click on it and click Get Info.
3. From the bottom of this window click on the lock icon and provide your password to unlock the settings.
4. Now click + to add the new user, from the prompt select Administrator.
5. Now you will find admin under the name, from the privilege section change the Read-only to Read & Write.
Now close the window and try to open chrome, it should launch the chrome without any issue.
Reset Chrome on macOS
If the above fix does not work by any chance, then you can try to reset the chrome.
Resetting Chrome will delete all the data associated with it, bookmarks, history, saved passwords would be deleted, so it is wise to sync your chrome data with Google account. (If you haven’t done it before)
To reset chrome all you need to do is to delete the Chrome folder from Library.
The full path for Chrome is /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Google
Now download and install a fresh Google Chrome, the new chrome should work.
All the above-mentioned methods helped thousands of users to fix the Google Chrome not opening issue, you need to try different fixes for your computer, any of the above fixes may work for you.
There may be slight differences in the Windows version you are using but it will work on all major versions of Windows like Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Since this happens due to malware attack it is advised to run a malware scan using good antivirus like Hitman Pro, check your system type, download and install Hitman Pro accordingly it will quickly scan critical area and delete found malware, this antivirus comes free for the first 30 days with full access, you only need to register for it using your email.
Always install a good antivirus program like McAfee Total Protection to avoid any such issue in the future, having a full version of an antivirus give you peace of mind and protect your PC from the different type of malware and also offers internet security.
Or you can also go for free antivirus, these free antivirus programs provide you with essential security from numerous PC threats.
Let me know which method fixed the Google Chrome Not Working issue, if you face any trouble during all the above solutions then comment below.
- Ultimate Tips to Make Windows 8/8.1 Faster than Ever
- How to Fix Slow Running Windows 10 – 200% Faster PC
- 10 Best VPN Service Providers for PC, Mac, and Mobile
- How to See Hidden Photos of Someone on Facebook
How do I fix Google Chrome not opening?
If this just happened then try these fixes first.
1. Close Google Chrome from the task manager.
2. Check the chrome background process and quit them.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. Check if other browsers are working.
5. Scan your PC with antivirus.
6. Boot into safe mode and check.
If these common fixes don’t work then you need to apply advanced fixes.
1. Reinstall Chrome Browser.
2. Completely reset chrome.
3. Change ownership of Google chrome shortcut.
Go to C: Program Files-Google-Chrome-Application create a new shortcut of chrome.exe and change the ownership to currently logged in user.
4. Delete chrome settings by deleting chrome.dll
5. System restore.
How do I reset Google Chrome?
There are two ways to reset Google Chrome in Windows PC.
1. Reset Chrome Settings
1. Open chrome menu then go to settings, scroll down and click “Advanced” option.
2. You will get more options, at the bottom you will get an option to “Reset Settings” Click on it and confirm.
2. Delete Chrome Default Folder
1. Press Win+R key to open RUN option.
2. Type in appdata then hit OK.
3. Navigate to C:-Users
4. Find and delete “Default” folder.
Make sure chrome is closed from task manager before deleting default folder.
It will completely reset Google Chrome. You have to login again to import your chrome data like passwords, bookmarks etc.