Google Chrome is the fastest browser in all aspect like browsing, downloading, streaming and much more, sometimes you may get an error that Google Chrome won’t open at all, no matter how many times you try to open it but nothing happens.
Whatever you tried to fix this issue but nothing worked properly, chrome isn’t launching makes you go crazy you don’t want to use other browsers because chrome has your installed extension, bookmarks and saved passwords. One can also import these browsing data but once you love chrome you can’t leave it.
What Steps you have taken to Fix Chrome error?
Have you tried fixing this issue by –
- Killing Chrome process from task manager ( If this Just happened).
- Ran Malware Scan.
- Rebooted Several times.
- Completely Reset Google Chrome.
- Re-Installed Chrome?
But all the above doesn’t work? Then you are at right place. (If you haven’t tried above solutions then try them before you proceed below)
Why Google Chrome Won’t Open?
If you have gone through all the above steps but still chrome is unable to start this means your chrome is affected by some malware or there is a program which is stopping chrome to be launch this may be due to Antivirus, 3rd Party Firewall, Firewall installed by Antivirus OR you have installed such program which is causing problem with it, basically in such case the Ownership of chrome got changed and you can’t start it from your user account.
As mention on Google Chrome Support Page, there are 3 Programs which may cause such issue-
- Spyware Doctor
- Comodo Firewall
- McAfee Enterprise
If you have any of above program installed, then disable such Programs and create an Exception in Firewall settings for Chrome, now re-enable those program and try, also try removing Spyware Doctor, If these don’t fix this issue proceed below-
How to Fix Google Chrome Won’t Open Error –
If this just happened then you need to try these two steps first –
1. Kill the Chrome Process from Task manager – Open Task Manager and Kill Every process of Google Chrome.
Check if chrome is working or not. If working then Great! If No
2. Reboot Your Computer and check again.
3. If your computer has another user account then log on to that account and check whether it is working or not, if chrome is working on another user account then first user account got affected, If it doesn’t work on any user account then chrome got affected for all users.
Final Fix to Google Chrome load error:-
If all above tries couldn’t resolve this error then before Resetting Chrome or Re-installing it (This may also not work) try this final Fix it will surely resolve this issue.
As written above Google chrome ownership is affected by some malware or incompatible programs we need to get the ownership back from the same user account, to do so follow these steps –
1. Go to Shortcut of chrome Right click on it > Open File Location. You can also open Chrome folder by navigating to Computer > C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application OR
C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application If it is 32 bit OS. Check whether you have 32 or 64 bit OS.
This may also in – C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application
OR – Just Right click on Google Chrome shortcut and open file location.
2. Now create a new shortcut of chrome application on the desktop. (Right-click on chrome and click send to desktop)
3. Right Click on New Shortcut and Go to Properties.
4. Go to Security tab.
5. Click on Advanced.
6. Once you click on the Advanced option you will get another window named as Advanced Security Settings. Here Click on Change Option.
7. After Clicking on Change in owner section, you will get another window to Select User or Group, In the Box below type your USER NAME (Mine is My Lappy) and Click on Check Names it will turn to COMPUTER NAME/USER NAME (Mine is like SANDEEP/MY LAPPY) and Click on OK.
8. Now Go to Effective Access Tab in Advanced Security Settings, and Click on Select a User.
9. After clicking on Select a user same window of user or group will appear again, type USER name and Click on Check Names again.
10. Hit OK to it.
11. Hit Apply / OK on Advance Security Settings Window.
Hit Apply / OK on Chrome Shortcut – Properties Window. Means Save all changes you made.
Now open Google chrome it will open and work properly if not then restart your computer and check. Delete the older shortcut of chrome from Start menu, Taskbar and Replace with Modified one.
Don’t Like Reading? Watch this Video Tutorial
After following the above steps, you will be able to fix google chrome won’t open error and Google Chrome will open quickly and it will work as usual.
Updated Fix for Google Chrome Not Opening Error
Many users reported that the final fix “changing chrome ownership” is also not working for them, in this case, you can try these 2 latest solutions-
1. Undo Recent Updates
One of the best features of Google Chrome is that it updates itself in the background without any prompt, sometimes a problem occurs when chrome trying to update from one version to another, and the update fails which leaves chrome in an unstable state.
As you can see in above image that chrome has 2 versions into the Application folder 47.0.2526.111 is the older version and 48.0.2564.116 is the latest version.
Open both folders and check which has less number of files, if the older version has less no. of files then –
Open the newer version’s folder and copy all the subfolders & files and paste them into older version’s folder.
Try to open Google Chrome now.
2. Delete Chrome.dll file
Thanks to Eric Schmidt for this fix, Chrome.dll is a file which contains the various setting for the chrome browser if chrome isn’t opening then delete this chrome.dll file from application folder.
Open C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application then open chrome version folder, find and delete chrome.dll. Deleting this DLL file removes all the older settings of google chrome.
This solution also worked for many users.
3. Google Chrome Compatibility Issue
If you have upgraded your Windows PC from Windows 7, 8.1 to Windows 10 then you may face chrome not opening issue.
After upgrade Chrome will not open due to Microsoft’s installer automatic settings. This installer will set Chrome’s execution mode for Windows 7 or Windows 8 compatibility.
To Fix the Compatibility issue after an upgrade you need to change the compatibility settings.
1. Locate Chrome shortcut on the desktop. (If you don’t have chrome shortcut on the desktop then make it).
2. RIght click on the Shortcut and Click Properties then select the Compatibility tab.
3. Uncheck the box which says ” Run this program in compatibility mode“, then hit Apply and OK.
Now check if the Google Chrome is working or not.
4. Clean Your Google Chrome
Download Chrome Cleanup Tool using a different browser (obviously) and locate the downloaded program and double-click to open it.
This program won’t install to your computer, it is a flash scanner to find suspicious programs and to reset Google Chrome Settings.
Clean up tool will scan for conflicting program, if it does find any such program then it is recommended to uninstall those program.
If it does not find suspicious program then click on Continue.
The cleanup tool will try to open and reset chrome settings. (Try this fix before trying other mentioned fixes)
Reboot your computer and check if it is working or not.
5. Adjusting the Firewall and Antivirus
Sometimes your Antivirus and Firewall may block certain actions to be taken by computer.
If you have an antivirus program installed then try to turn it off temporarily and check if you are able to open Google Chrome.
Create an exception to the Firewall setting for Google Chrome.
Open Windows Firewall from the control panel and Click Allow an App through Windows Firewall.
Now browser the Chrome.exe from C:\Program Files\Chrome\Application and add the exception.
Check the Private option for Chrome.exe.
6. Fix Corrupt User Profile
An answer by Google Expert suggests that if Google Chrome is unable to open and won’t give any error message then you may have broken user profile.
You need to create a new user profile in order to get your Chrome working again.
Press Win+R key on your keyboard and type %localappdata% then hit OK.
It will take you to the AppData folder navigate to Google\Chrome\Userdata.
Now, look for the Default folder in User Data, Rename this Default folder to anything else like “Default1” Default Backup”
Now, Restart your PC without any try to open Google Chrome.
Once restarted try to open Chrome and check if it is working. At this point, Chrome will create a new User Profile Named “Default” with new settings.
If you have trouble fixing corrupt User Profile, Check this Article to Reset Chrome Where I have written the detailed procedure.
Fixing Chrome Not Opening issue on macOS
This issue with chrome may occur on Mac OS as well, this fix works with all the major version of macOS like Mavericks, Yosemite, El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave.
Try the below fix first-
- Restarting chrome may fix this issue.
- Restart your Mac.
3. Change the permission on Mac OS
If your chrome is unable to open at all then you need to get the permission for your account(Admin). If admin account has no access to read and write data on chrome then you won’t be able to open it.
Here’s how to get the permission-
1. Open finder and press Command + Shift + G Keys together.
It will launch the file browser and /Library written by default, just press the Go button.
2. You will get many folders there, look for Google folder, right click on it and Click Get Info.
3. From the bottom of this window click on the lock icon and provide your password to unlock the settings.
4. Now click + to add the new user, from the prompt select Administrator.
5. Now you would find admin under the name, from the privilege section change the Read-only to Read & Write.
Now close the window and try to open chrome, it should launch the chrome without any issue.
Reset Chrome on macOS
If the above fix does not work by any chance, then you can try to reset the chrome.
Resetting chrome will delete all the data associated with it, bookmarks, history, saved passwords would be deleted, so it is wise to sync your chrome data with Google account. (If you have done it before)
To reset chrome all you need to do is to delete the Chrome folder from Library.
Now download and install a fresh Google Chrome, the new chrome should work.
All the above-mentioned methods helped thousands of users to fix the Chrome opening issue, you need to try different fixes for your computer, any of the above fixes may work for you.
Since this happens due to malware attack it is advised to run a malware scan using good antivirus like Hitman Pro, check your system type, download and install Hitman Pro accordingly it will quickly scan critical area and delete found malware, this antivirus comes free for first 30 days with full access, you only need to register for it using your email.
Always install a good antivirus program like McAfee Total Protection to avoid any such issue in the future, having a full version of an antivirus give you a peace of mind and protect your PC from the different type of malware and also offers internet security.
Or you can also go for free antivirus, these free antivirus programs provide you with essential security from numerous PC threats.
Let me know which fix worked for you, if you face any trouble during all the above solutions then comment below.