Download pending in Play store is common error android users face while downloading apps from play store. It doesn’t matter how many times you try to download your favorite apps but it gets stuck at download pending for forever.
Even if you restart your Android phone several times but it won’t work. This error is not device-specific like it doesn’t matter if you have Samsung, Google, Oppo, Vivo, One Plus, Sony or any other brands android phone.
No, there is no problem with your phone, internet connection or android operating system. You might have tried tons of ways to fix download pending error on Google Play but if it didn’t work then you are at right place.
In this article, I will discuss some methods in details to fix download pending error on Google Play which will surely fix this issue on your android phone.
Why Do You Get Download Pending Error in Play Store?
Unlike iPhone, Android is open source and quite flexible to perform various tasks at the admin level. Whenever you download apps it does create additional files and data into your android device.
Google Play is also a default app which might get corrupt sometimes. Download pending means the app you are downloading is in the queue and it needs to be executed but can’t due to some issue with your device.
Here are some reasons which may affect your downloads-
- Low Memory – If your device is running low on memory then you will get this error since apps need to extract additional files to the device.
- Corrupt Cache – Cache memory on android is a memory which is accessed first whenever you use an app for a few times, it may get corrupt for Google Play as well.
- Download Manager – There’s a tool inside your android device which helps you to download apps from Google Play which may get corrupt itself then it will throw download pending error.
- Date and Time – If you have the wrong time and date set into your android phone then you may get this error.
- Corrupt SD card – If you have set to install apps into your SD card and anyhow it gets write-protected or corrupt then you will face this error.
- Outdated Google Play – The Play store in your android phone may be outdated itself then it will show you an error.
How To Fix Download Pending Error in Google Play Store?
Now, you have some idea why are you getting download error, so let’s check how you can fix it.
Before trying any of these fixes make sure there aren’t any apps is updating in the background.
Open Play store and go to “My apps and games” and check if there are some apps updating in the background, if so then you will get download pending error. Just wait for those apps to update and try again.
If above is not the case, follow next-
1. Goole Play Permissions
To download apps using Play store it needs to have some permissions on your android phone like Contacts, SMS, Storage, and Usages Access. By default play store has these permissions but if you or any third-party apps messed up with these permissions then you won’t be able to download any apps.
Check for these permissions by going to Settings > Apps & Notifications and tap see all apps. Scroll down and look for Google Play Store and tap on it, tap on permissions and make sure Phone and SMS permissions are allowed.
Usages Access – Go back to Apps & Notifications scroll down to the bottom and look for Special app access and tap on it then select Usages Access, you will find Google Play Store just open it and make sure Usages access is allowed if not then permit Usages access by tapping on the slider button.
Now, restart your phone and check if you are able to download apps via Play Store.
2. Delete Cache & App Data for Play Store
Like all other apps Play store also creates application data to your phone memory, if it gets corrupt you would get download pending error.
Clear the storage clutter for the Google Play store by deleting the Cache memory and app data.
Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications locate Google Play Store and tap on it. Now tap on Storage and Clear Storage and Clear Cache memory.
Now check if you can download and install the apps if not then restart your phone and try again.
If it doesn’t work follow next.
3. Delete Cache & App Data for Download Manager
The download manager is a system app which helps you to download files from play store or any other apps or from browser. Sometimes it may get corrupt or the data and cache may get cluttered.
Deleting app data and cache for download manager can fix the download error on play store.
Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications then tap to see all apps. Form the right top corner tap on the hamburger menu (3 little dots) and tap on Show System Apps.
You will all the installed apps along with system apps, scroll down to find Download Manager.
Now, tap on Download Manager and tap on Storage it will open another interface from there tap on Clear Storage and Clear Cache to delete all the acquired cache and app data.
Deleting storage clutters for download manager will reset it. Now, try to download apps and check if it is downloading.
If you are still getting download pending error then try below methods.
4. Force Stop Play Store and Download Manager
For most of the users above three method works, but if it is still not working for you then you can try to Force Stop Goole Play Store and Download manager.
Again go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > Google Play Store. And tap on Force Stop.
Do the same for the download manager after tapping on hamburger menu > Show System.
Stopping these apps will stop all the services running by Play store and download manager, these are necessary services to run the play store.
Now, restart your phone to run these services again, if there is misconfiguration then it will go away. After the restart, check if you are able to download or not.
5. Reset App Preference To Fix Download Pending Error
This method can reset app preferences for all the installed apps including system apps so try this method only if other methods don’t work. App preferences including-
- Disabled Apps
- Disabled app notifications
- Default applications for actions
- Background data restrictions for apps
- Any permission restriction.
Would be set to default to their original condition, however, you won’t lose any app data.
Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications tap to see all the apps. Tap on the hamburger menu.
Once you tap on “Reset app preferences” a pop up will appear stating what will happen if you reset the app preferences, tap on Reset apps to start the process.
This process may fix the download pending issue since it would reset all the settings for apps.
6. Change Google Account or Re-Sync
There may be some restrictions on your Google account attached to your phone, or you may have unknowingly changed some settings on your Google account.
Try to remove the associated account and login with another account, if you are able to download apps using another account then there is some problem with your original Google account. Login to Google on the web and check all the settings.
Or remove your account and attach it again, it may work. It will re-sync all the settings and data again if there is an issue with Google settings on your phone then it will go away.
Go to Settings > Accounts and then select your Google account, now tap on Remove account and confirm the action.
Now, login back using a new account or with the same account to check if there is any problem with your Google account.
7. Re-Install or Update Google Play Store App
The recent updates to the Play Store can cause download pending issue. If there are some corrupt files within the Play Store then it may not function properly. You can try to uninstall the Play Store itself and install it again.
But you won’t be able to uninstall play store completely, you can uninstall the updates to reset it to factory settings.
To reset (reinstall) Google Play Store go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > See All Apps find and tap on Google Play Store now tap on the hamburger menu (3 little dots at right top corner) and select Uninstall Updates, a pop up will appear stating “Replace this app with the factory version?” Tap on OK to confirm the action.
Now, Play Store will roll back to factory settings and it will delete all the app data. No to worry you won’t lose installed apps or any personal data.
To update Play Store again to the latest version, open the app and Go to Menu > Settings.
And tap on “Play Store Version” the app will notify you for the latest version and just tap in Update to finish the process. Once the update is complete, check if you are able to download apps.
8. Reset Settings
If everything fails and you still can’t download the apps via Play Store then try to Reset the Setting to factory default. This will reset every setting on your phone including, wallpaper, themes, saved wi-fi networks, Bluetooth devices, all the manual settings, and permissions.
You won’t lose your personal data but everything else will be reset to factory settings. If you are in doubt then make a backup of your data to Computer or flash drive.
This should be the last thing to try because you would lose all the settings and you have to set all the things again as per your requirement.
To reset the settings to factory version Go to Settings > System > Advanced and then tap on Reset Options and you will get the option to Reset different settings.
This interface may be different in your phone since it does vary by device manufacturers. Anyhow find the Reset Settings options in your android phone and follow the reset process.
A factory reset has higher chances to fix the download pending issue on your android device.
Some other Ways to Fix Download Pending Error on Google Play Store
All the above methods listed can surely fix the issue with your Play Store, but if it is still not downloading apps there are some other things to check.
- Time and Date – Check the set time and date on your device and make sure it is showing the correct time and date, if not go to setting and check the option to set “automatic date and time”.
- VPN – If you are downloading apps over any VPN then try to turn it OFF. The selected location in VPN app may not be supported by apps or the Play Store.
- Delete Cache Partition – Most of the android phones have a separate partition for cache data, you can try to delete this partition. To delete cache partition you have to boot your android in recovery mode. Carefully select the cache partition and delete it.
- Download Via Web – You can try to login into the Play store website using a browser on your android or laptop, then select the app and your device to install it. Check the phone if apps are installed.
- Malware Scan – Your android device may be affected by some malware which is stopping the download. Install good antivirus on your android and scan the device.
Android is versatile, users can install different apps via many marketplaces available. Google Play Store is an official marketplace which sometimes acts weird and won’t let you download apps due to a problem with your android device or google account.
Download pending error is one of them. You can fix this issue using the above methods. Some users can fix it with simple methods like app data and cache deletion. Some may have to reset the app preferences or have to reset the device itself.
Which method did work for you? Or if it is still not working then let me know into comments.
- Tips To Earn Free Google Play Credits Really Fast in 2019
- 5 Best Android VPN Apps To Protect Your Identity Over The Internet
A tech enthusiast who loves to explore new technologies and mess with software & hardware just to see what could go wrong and then try to fix it.